Monday, March 24, 2008

Tibet

The 2008 summer games are right around the corner. The torch started today from Athens to make the trip to Beijing. The games has brought a tremendous opportunity for the world to take a look at the country, politics, and government in China. As consumers of media the individual viewer holds a handful of power that says "yes" I support this or "no" I don't. The current information blackouts in Tibet by the PRC government, Tibetan monks and citizens dead or injured, the Secretary of States travel warning to all U.S citizens traveling to China for the games, and the reminder that these games that support international sportsmanship are taking place in a country where human rights is not on the agenda.

Because of Tibet and also the tenuous position that democratic Taiwan holds in the continued strained cross-strait relations with China and the world, I have decided not to watch the games this time around. You can do it too if you feel the same, don't watch the Olympics. It may be small but tv is linked to viewership which is linked to $$$$.

No comments: